Still not sold on kale? You want to eat healthier but don’t want to sacrifice the taste? Then, kale can become your match. It’s a must in my refrigerator and definitely the green I use the most. Believe it or not, you can make many delicious meals with kale. I use a lot of kale in my smoothies which does taste quite good!
Here are some facts about this green wonder:
Kale is an archaic type of cabbage. Kale has been cultivated for over 3,000 years. It originated in Asia Minor and was introduced to Europe by the Celtics around 600 BC. It was extremely popular in ancient Greece and Rome. In the 17th century it was brought to the United States by the early English settlers.
6 Things You Don’t Know About Kale
- Kale is extremely rich in vitamins A and C – essential for visual and immune functions.
- Kale is great for your bones since it is the best source of vitamin K.
- The calcium in kale is absorbed much better than the calcium in milk so it helps protect against osteoporosis, arthritis, and bone loss.
- Kale has many benefits for women. It helps to regulate estrogen and may prevent many forms of cancer.
- Kale supplies important minerals like calcium and iron for pregnant women. It also provides folic acid for the baby’s nervous system development.
- Additionally, Kale increases breastmilk supply.
Fortunately, kale has entered back into the arena of modern food. Kale tends to be a little bit bitter in flavor, but it goes away by washing and cooking. For example, if you use kale in your smoothies, combine it with fruits and berries, or combine kale with other vegetables in your salad. Looking for a good healthy snack, try Kale Chips. It is a great but simple recipe to introduce Kale in your daily menu:
- 4 cups kale
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and trim the kale. Toss with extra virgin olive oil.
- Roast for five minutes. Turn kale over. Roast another 7 to 10 minutes until kale turns brown and becomes paper thin and brittle.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!!!