When I think of turmeric, I think of Indian cuisine and unfortunately it doesn't make me salivate since I've never been a fan of Indian food except for their bread (Naan). But there are many other ways to incorporate turmeric into your diet. From a culinary and medical perspective, curry spice, is one the most important spices. Taking turmeric daily, in small doses, is supposed to be good for overall health as it cleans out your system and keeps your organs healthy.
Turmeric stimulates the production of bile which helps to break down fatty foods, which in turn, may help you lose weight. Taking one teaspoon of Turmeric powder with every meal may help in loosing weight. This of course doesn't cancel the fact that you need to eat healthy and exercise.
Turmeric has major antioxidant properties which helps fight diseases by destroying free radicals.
The most promising quality of turmeric is its ability to prevent cancer. This super-food can stop cancer from growing and spreading into other organs. It causes cancer cells to commit suicide.
Turmeric's anti-bacterial agents may help our body fight against colds, cough and flu. Turmeric's key ingredient Curcumin is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which can help in healing cuts and wounds.
Turmeric improves liver function. This is done through the production of enzymes that break down toxins into materials that are easily eliminated by the body. Taking turmeric increases the production of these enzymes, thus improving liver function.
I am determined to use turmeric daily, and so here are some ways to add turmeric to your diet:
- Include the spice as an ingredient in your regular meals.
- You can make a tea out of turmeric. Boil about four cups of water with a spoonful of turmeric for about ten to fifteen minutes. Strain and drink.
- Add turmeric into your daily smoothies
- Add turmeric to a glass of warm milk which helps fight cold and flu
- Or you can use turmeric supplements daily
My Turmeric Smoothie Recipe!
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen mango pieces
- 1/2 cup kale